HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slug gun help needed!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:31 AM
The Rifleman

Default RE: Slug gun help needed!!!

Back in 1954, my father joined the US Navy.

While he was stationed at Great Lakes Naval Academy, he bought a Remington Model 721 Rifle and also a Remington Model 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge shotgun.

My dad sent them home to his mother’s house for safekeeping.

My Uncle’s - who were several years younger than my dad, did not own any guns of their own desired to hunt. So my dad let them use his guns while he was away.

My Uncle Bob used my dads 20 ga and his other brother Bill used his model 721 that year to hunt deer.

It seam’s that on the opening day of antlerless deer season that a doe came down to my uncle Bob - about 50 yards away. My uncle Bob shot it in the head with open sights, field dressed it and took it home. The next day they went out again and the same thing happened at the same place at the same time and my uncle Bob again shot a doe in the head at 50 yards with the same shotgun and the same box of 2 3/4 Remington slugs.

My fathers Uncle Bid came into the garage where they were butchering the animals and was looking at their harvest. His comment was that unless someone told him different, he believed that the same person shot both deer! The holes were in the same place at the same angle and the same size.

Back then; you were only allowed one deer per a year!

That particular shotgun would consistently shoot a 1-inch bulls eye at 50 yards with no sights at all.

My dad used the barrel as a club to dispatch rabbits when he small game hunted and it bent the barrel and he had to sent out and get a poly choke put on it - because the metal was not properly heat treated in that area.

So I could not tell you what it would do today.

But that was at a time when people still did not have a lot of money - in a defunct coal-mining town, where people lived through the depression and made due with what they had.

All these fancy gadgets that you put on that gun isn't going to make it any better than what it was the day it came out of the factory new.

If you want your shotgun to shoot like a rifle, you ought to use a rifle.