HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What a day yesterday.
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11 AM
sr77
Nontypical Buck

Default What a day yesterday.

Well after a very frustrating season, I took the last day of bow season off to see if I could harvest a buck. It was cold and raining in the morning so I decided to sleep in and go out when it let up a bit. By 11 am I was in my stand, it was around 42 outside. Within an hour I had2 small does near me. They fed for about 15 mins and went back into the thicket. An hour later I hear a grunt to my right. I looked through the brush and saw the 2 small does again and was looking for that buck. 2 mins later I saw a large body headed me way and new it was a buck. He came in, and it ended up being a very small 6 ( brow tines looked less than an inch, so I don't even think he was legal). I passed him up. He walked off and about 15 mins. later I here a very deep gutteral grunt below me in the brush about 40-50 yds. away. I hit the bleat can and this thing just starts tearing throught the brush coming towards me. i get my bow ready. Just then out of the corner of my eye I see a brown blur. I look over and there is a big 5 pt. blowing by me. He stops at 25 yds. looking down towards the other buck. Thought about shooting, but he was off and running in a second, I mean he was panting, tongue hanging out. I never heard or saw the other buck again. That whole scenario took about 5 seconds, it was insane. About an hour later I had a nice 6 pt. coming across the field and he ended up going into a thicket about 90 yds. away. Ended up seeing the 5 pt. again towards dark, he was spooked by a guy I saw walking into the brush about 150 yds. away. All in all a great hunt, spent 6.5 hours in that stand waiting for a buck, came close but no cigar. Hopefully the late season will pay off.

Shane