HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cold weather clothing
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
randyh

Default RE: cold weather clothing

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Starts with the material closest to the body, underwear - avoid cotton! I suggest Polyproplene under garments, my preference is Helly Hansen but their are others. I wear polypro upper, lower, sockliners and glove liners as it wicks moisture away from the body helping to stablize the core temp. After that I am an advocate of layers, using Fleece or wool garments. I wear merino wool socks of varying weights (depending on the temp/situation) over my ploypro sockliners. On the lower and upper body I layer up as required with fleece or wool. I like to add on the outer or mid layer level a garment that will help with wind and water but it is still breathable (ie: gortex, etc). Outerfoot wear (boots) need to be waterproofwith thinsulate (insulation). Like socks I have different boots for different situations and temperatures. I don't believe it is possible to have one pair of boots for all the hunting season has to offer here in Sask. As such I have a number of boots to pick from, light insulation 0 -400, mid range 600 - 800 (my most used - Danner Canadians) and heavy 1000 +(I prefer a pac boot with removable liners - I use Schnee Extreme's). Boots must be roomy enough to allow wiggling of all toes, to tight and your feet will be cold no matter what you have over them. When sitting for long periods i loosen my boot laces which i have found helps with circulation/blood flow = warmth. My head gets fleece or fleece lined wool toques, most overlooked place but the one that releases the most body heat - keeping it warm can go along ways to comfort in the field. Hands get the ploypro glove liners with wool/thinsulate flip over mitts most of the time. For sitting I add hand warmers andpossibly the waist band hand warmer(like you see football players wearing). If extremely cold I go with trapper mitts and the polypro liners. The instant hand warmers are a god sent, I never leave home without them and have used them in more places then my hands....

Near asNb asthe garments you choose is the substances you put in your body. I like my coffee and pop but when it comes to hunting in colder temps I refrain from anything that has caffine in it( coffee, regular pop, chocolate). I pretty much stick to H20 and when really cold take a thermos of hot water or cup of soup. I take small sips of drink through out the day vs large gulps to keep hydrated but minimizing voiding (as we all know core temp drops when you unzip). I snack vs eat on thinks likePB sandwiches, granola, raisins, cereal bars, etc.

Other things i have found that works to keeping warmth, when sitting get your feet and backside off frozen ground. A folding chair, log, sleeping bag, etc Minimize heat up on the walk in, one reason i say layers. If sitting i strip down to the bare essentials for the walk in and layer up slowly as my body temp comes down while sitting. keep the blood flowing, arm circles, change position, etc. If I start get chilled I know i need to get more blood moving, if need be a short walk is better then hypothermia in my way of thinking. If your shivering it's to late and you need to take measures immediately to get your body temp up.

Hope it helps and good luck.
skeeter - that has to be one of the best articles I can recall ever reading that dealt with the kinds of temperatures we deal with here on the Prairies. And I certainly agree with your comments on "stoking the furnace". It makes a big difference. Give the body appropriate fuel and it will generate heat. Thanks for taking the time to put such good info on the site.