HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which trail camera should I get? Moultrie, Leaf River ???
Old 11-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Snoogsdad
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which trail camera should I get? Moultrie, Leaf River ???

That is a tough one. First you might want to decide whether or not you want an IR camera. I've not been very pleased with the three IR cams I have tested to date. I still prefer those with the flash.

I have the Moultrie M60 and it is performing alright except that is washes out the pictures real bad at dawn and dusk so bad that you can't tell anything at all about what it took a picture of. The IR version wouldn't have this problem but I've not tested it.

I have the Leaf River IR and do not like it. The pictures are poor such that it is difficult to tell much about the deer in the picture. I also do not like the buttons and operation of the Leaf River cameras as compared to other cameras.

I'm not sure about the Stealth STC-V550MTR. The Stealth I tested was older and has not performed well. It quit working altogether this summer and the LCD screen had quit working a few months prior. I'm not sure if Stealth made any improvements to this camera.

I know the fellow who runs that website, I'm helping him type this. He's not the brightest bulb but he likes to test the cameras and hopes to help a hunter or two. Deciding what to spend hard earned money on can be a tough decision.

Take is easy on the old EagleEye. With the exception of the crazy light blink thing to set the time delays that camera has take thousands of pictures and operated 24/7 for over three years now, with great picture quality, great battery life and dependability. Mine is hardly a POS (piece of shale, piece of shovel, piece of shrimp....oh well)

I've not tested the Buckeye Cam, not sure where you saw that one.

The Penns Woods operated great for me for about a year and a half and then the Minolta camera went bad. I bought another Minolta and replaced it and it went bad too. I've given up. The downside to this setup was the slow trigger speed although it still did a great job on food plots. The current Penns Woods cameras are too pricey. You can get equal or better for less money.

Enjoy your new camera when you get it, watch out they get addictive.