HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Field Journal (VA & NC)
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Field Journal

Nov. 5 2007

Afternoon hunt on The Eastern Shore. Winds SSW 8-10mph Hunt cut cornfield near road(mistake). About 45 min befordark a6 pointer and a doe comeinto the field, around 15 minutes later (primetime) a truck drivesby , stops, backs up and shoots atone of thedeer then procedes to just drive off (I guess they "missed"). Needless to say I was pissedbecause they spooked all the deer but more importantly that is just dangerous, Itried toget across to that side in case they drove back by so we could"discuss" the issue but they never came back.

Nov. 6 2007

Hunted themorning on an old cut through between an oak flat and pine block. Very windy and off and on showers, saw one doe but we left early because the little man already has a cold and the rain was getting worse.

We love this little blind, we just pop it up and hunt, keeps us out of the wind and rain for the most part and he can sleep or fidget or eat snacks or rattle the antlers or grunt or......the list goes on and on. I always think the deer will notice us but even at 30 or 40 yards the most we've ever got is a couple of suspicious looks and head bobs, and usually by the time they are even doing that it is too late.

It's funny because each season you have ups and downs and I was pumped for this week and then after finding my stands messed up at the farm and then having an encounter with the road hunters at the other pieceit was just kind of a "buzz-kill week", even though the deer still seemed to be moving,my buddy Jack killed a nice 6(no brow tines) yesterday morning from a stand in the front of the propertyand then he killed a doe in the evening from the same stand I shot my bow contest buck from last month, and Idid get to see a couple of deer anywaysoit wasn't a complete bust.

Cold front forecast for the end of the week Nov. 8-10. Season is a little pastthe half way point (Sept. 8, 2007-Jan. 5, 2008), time flies this time of year.