HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - speed vs ke
Thread: speed vs ke
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
MeanV2
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: speed vs ke

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Been out of town (hunting) the past four days. This little issue really took on a life of its own here. I personally don't question the trend for heavier shafts to out penetrate lighter shafts, all other thing being equal. So I guess I believe the general concepts put forth by Dr. Ashby. However, there is still a balance between speed and penetration when considering arrow weight.

For instance, I have thought about using very light 3D shafts for antelope hunting. I'm sure they would penetrate this light boned animal adequately, and the flatter trajectory could be a benefit on the long range shots sometimes encountered. However, archery elk season coincides with archery antelope; and I sure don't want to risk a light arrow on an angle shot at a 900 lb. bull elk. Now that I have a second bow, might think about setting up one of them for elk and one for antelope.

But even for elk hunting, the small diameter shafts - particularly the A/C Super Slims and the Axis FMJ - offer a medium weight arrow with serious penetration.
I agree!! I never said Light arrows are the end all only way to hunt, but are a very good option for Lots of archers going after North American Game. I have hunted with everything from carbons weighing around 325 grains to 2419's that I don't remember what they weighed, let's just say they were HeavyTrouble is with most Bowhunters their way is the only way to do anything, and the bottom line is 500 grain arrows are just not necessary to hunt most Game I have hunted. Would they work? Yep I'm sure they would, but at the the expense of making my trajectory much more arched and for an advantage that I don't need. I prefer a fast, flat shooting arrow that I know from my40 years experiencewill get the job done once it arrives at the spot. I really don't care how much dirt I kill on the other sideIf you feel like you need Heavy Arrows toGit-R-Done or you are Hunting some Big Dude then by allmeans go ahead. We each buyour own arrows so we can choose what we want

Dan