HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm sick to my stomach and tired as h*ll
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Planter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm sick to my stomach and tired as h*ll

I whacked a real nice Buck on monday that was "slightly" quartering to me. I hit him square in the shoulder and he ran off with the fletching sticking out of him. I was certain he was one dead deer.

I waited 4 hours prior to tracking him and was on a great blood trail that just dried up. I looked for 5 hours that day with no luck and went back the next day and did a great grid search. I did find with a lot of luck where he had bedded for the night. Three beds in a 10 foot area and each one just had a little bit of clear pink blood in it. Can't believe he is still alive but I spent HOURS and HOURS over a few days looking with no success.

I did the best I could to find him and thought I had a really high percentage, ethical shot when I took it. Never found him and said that was it for this year. Instead I went out this AM and shot his little brother.
If anyone finds fault with you they have not hunted long. As long as you looked hard then it's part of the game. All we can do is give it our best shot at finding them and it sounds like you did.

Gonna find afew who question either your shot selection or lack of effort or whatever but you only have to answer to your own conscience.

Get back in the saddle or the tree which ever it might be. I would think a lot less of you if you did not feel badly

PS.. It's always easier to hit a target in the backyard...