HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help Me Choose a Caliber
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
MichaelT.

Default RE: Help Me Choose a Caliber

I feel the same way about 1st hand experience .... 16 years of the 7mm-08. I love that little gun. I had looked into getting a .260 not long ago, and it may be one of those that will be saying goodbye soon if there is not more consumer interest in it to keep it alive. But I can guarantee the 7mm-08 to still be around. Also , on available ammo , you will find 7mm-08 ammo easier than .260 ammo.

And, the only reason I mentioned the 30.06 or the .308 with managed recoil ammo was to directly meet a need. It will be more comfortable and thus accuracy will improve, and he can shoot full loads if he ever wanted to or needed to in going after bigger game. Or if he gave the gun to his son, he would get a gun that in a .308 or 30.06 that could do it all. Dad may have a 30.06 and not need another 30 cal. round, but what will son have? And his son could shoot it right out of the box with managed recoil and be effective to 225 yards, without taking a beating. Then step up after he grows some and gets older.
I still like this idea, but it isn't the right path for everyone ..... It is a good alternative though. And You don't have to get another 30.06 , since you have one, but you can go get a short, light, great handling gun like a Model 7 - .308, and use managed recoil and have a wonderful hunting gun.... And if you wonder about how it works, since you already have a 30.06, go buy a box of managed recoil ammo and try it in your gun. See what you think.

But it was just a suggestion. I have 2 sons and a daughter ( ages 9 - 13 ). They all shoot some of my guns, and they handle my Ruger M77 compact .243 Stainless / laminate - 16.5 " barrell well, but I have already decided that I will be getting them a .308 or 30.06 with managed recoil as the next purchase for them. Having tried it for the wife, I know it is a great in her 30.06, and I could shoot it all day long and not need a chiropractor afterwards.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth..... If my opinion is even worth that much...

BTW.... If I still wanted a light recoiling round for the child, look into a break action .243 single shot.You can get one for about $ 175.00 new. I bought one for my kids to learn on. It is safe, very light recoil, and very accurate. Then you can get a good, larger caliber,bolt gun as he gets older. Plus it lets you own more guns .... and a guy can never have too many can he?