HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is a .243 a good deer gun?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
zrexpilot
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is a .243 a good deer gun?

I have been using the .243 for about 25 years now and havent had any problems, the .243 is a great deer cartridge. I have also noticed that it makes soup of internal organs. out of probably 100 kills I think I have had only 2 that didnt get an exit. My kids use my gun, its the only high powered rifle I own. I have seen them make some absolutley beautiful shots on deer. My 8 year old at the time put one on a spike at a tad over 200 yds, which dropped on the spot, my older boy 16 at the time put one through a doe at about a 190 yds, the doe was facing us head down feeding and he placed it right between the shoulder blades, the bullet exited the poop shoot. Wont be doing that again, I have takensome splendid shots with it as well, 200lb hogs at 250 yds, dropping them on the spot. The .243 aint no joke, she will put any deer down for the count, I am not one for hard angle shots, I dont care what caliber you use. I have seen a 7 mag be stopped by the gut of a deer. A deer with a full belly is like a sandbag and can stop just about any round, if you take a hard quartering away shot and dont retrieve your deer dont blame the caliber.
Just get the .243 you will be pleasantly surprised with it accuracy, low recoil, and efficient killing.