HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Decoying during bow season
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Brocster
Spike

Default RE: Buck Decoying during bow season

I have been using decoy's for a few years now. I hunt in Wisconsin, in the NW part of the state. We ahve a good amount of deer and about a 2.5:1(guestimate) doe to buck ratio (just setting up the situation for you).

Here are some tidbits I have found:

1.Buck decoy's work excellent. Just don't expect a bruiser to come waltzing in first time out. The biggest advantage to the decoy is that they force the deer to concentrate on the decoy, not you. It does NOT scare off does, to my surprise. In fact, I have seen the buck decoy draw in does. The will come in to check t out, scent it, etc. I have seen the does feed around it. It is as the decoy makes them feel secure (like an early warning alarm).
2. Buck decoys work almsot anytime. Doe decoys, on the other hand, should be used with a buck only in the peak of the rut. I say this for one main reason. The doe decoys work almost too good. The does will bed down by it, but, a real mature doe will bust it and blow hard, running away.
3. Inthe peak of the rut, if you can, use a buck decoy standing by a bedded doe.
4. Use buck uring for a scent by the buck, not on it.
5. Absolutely make sure the decoy is scent free.
6. Make sure the decoy is in an area that does not suprise the deer. It does not need to be in wide open spaces, but should not be place in tight areas where a deer won't see it till he/she steps on it.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I use decoy's about 60% of the time I hunt.

Good luck!