HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first deer ever taken!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
MikeTark
Spike

Default My first deer ever taken!!!!!

I'm Mike and I have been bow hunting for7 or 8 years now(15 total with gun). I have hunted the same property in that time in New York's Southern Zone. I have seen quiet a few deer,but never had a really good shot at one. Monday morning it was 3 days after the full moon and it was a cold one ( about 35 degrees and a light wind). After not seeing anything all morningmy hunting buddy calls me one the radio at 8:30and says he seen 3 bucks a 4,6,and a botton(he's about 600 yards away and says that he grunted/bleated and they didnt respond) At 9:00 I see the 3 bucks come up the hill to my right,the 4 pointer came walking in and stoped at35 yards away(hes quarting towards me and the other 2 are about 60 orso yards away). I grab my bow and get ready,at 25yrs he stops and his vitals are behind a tree his a few seconds laterhis tail goes up and he takes 2 bounds.I grunt he keeps on walking towards the othe 2. Once they are outta my sight I radio my buddy and tell him what happened and he was like,"WHAT HAPPENED???" So I say I dont know about 10 min later(9:00am) I hear a branch snap and look to my right and here comes a big bodied deer,itsMY deer a 5 point. Hes about 65 yrds away walking towards the direction the other 3 deer went(back down the hill). I let out 2 soft grunts (not knowing if it would work) he stops and started heading in my direction.. He gets about 35 yards and I get ready to draw. Another15 and I draw,He comes in 5 more and I let my arrow fly!!,(My heart was about to come out of my chest)I spine shot him and hedroppedin his tracks 15 yards away,(I think he must have jumped the string)I knocked another arrowtook a deep breatheand let that one fly too(beautiful shot)the arrow went threw one lung and the top of the heart( I was shaking so bad I dont know how I was able to get the second off so good....) As I'm high 5'n myselfand jumping around I radio my buddy and tell him the great news...He askes how far did he go and I told him he was at 15 yards.(Thats 15 yards from my stand).. About 15 min later(after I calmed down a little bit)I climb down from mytree and my buddy shows up 5 min later, We're high 5'n and and I'm telling him my story ... All's I can say to the other hunters out there who haven't had good luck or things just ain't worked out foryais, " HARD WORK AND A NEVER GIVING UP ATTITUDEDOES WORK"