HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I get a 50-60# or 60-70#
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 AM
BobCo19-65
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should I get a 50-60# or 60-70#

How many people have you heard of that could shoot over 80 lbs and how much did they shoot? Just thought it would be interesting to hear of the strong guys out there.
If you look into the traditional world, you'll find a lot of people who shoot over that amount. My highest poundage bow is a 75# Howard Hill Longbow which I plan on using on Moose in a few years. How many times I can shoot it depends on how long I hold at full draw. If I shoot as soon as I get to anchor which is normal, I can get about 20 shots in before my bow arm starts to shake. But if I hold a few second on each shot, then maybe 12 or so.

Howard Hill used bows up to 150 pounds or so. You can get cleaner releaseswith higher poundages. Howard shot bows well over 70 pounds into his seventies. John Schulz and Byron Ferguson also use higher poundages. If you saw John Schulz's actual body size though, you'd never expect it. I believe Byron's stage bow is 70#'s and if you ever saw him shoot, you'd know that he shoots it a lot. I saw Byron shoot a life saver and a baby aspirin out of the air.