HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bleaching skulls
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Drew307
Spike

Default RE: Bleaching skulls

Hey bwhunter501,

First off let me say that boiling the entire skull is last thing I would do. I have a skull cleaning business and have seen some beautiful trophies messed up through the boiling process (cracked teeth, skull plate loosening). I am assuming that the hide and all the meat is completely off. My suggestion for the velvet would be to just soak the antlers in ahalf water and half clear ammonia solution.The ammonia/water solution will help re-hydrate and degrease any blood or stains that might be left in the antler.Change the mixture when it gets cloudy. It shouldn't take longer than a week. Then I would flip the skull and soak itin some fresh solution to degrease it. Completely submerge the skull.Don't worry about the ammonia affecting the antler color, it won't. Change the wateracouple of times until itstarts to remain clear, that is when you can inspect the skull for anymore grease stains. If it looks clean, wash off with water and let it sit for 3 days to completely dry. Go to a beauty supply store and buy "Clairol Basic white". It is a heavy duty peroxide powder used forbleachingand highlighting hair. Mix the powder and store bought 3% hydrogen peroxide into a brushable paste. Coat the entire skull including the nasalcavity and justunder the antler pedicules. Then wrap the skull with saran wrap and set it out in the sun all day. After 24 hrs. you can wash off all the paste residue.Let the skull dry outside in the sun for another2 days and then you can sealit using Krylon clear gloss spray paint. krylon is the only spray paint that doesn't have a slight amber or yellow tint to it. As for the antlers, go to home depot and buy a bunch of different types of small cans of wood stain. Use a test piece of antler and find the color that best suits your region. The wood stains workgreat because you can feather in darker spots with a paint brush. Hope this helps,DREW