HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - euro mount?
Thread: euro mount?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Drew307
Spike

Default RE: euro mount?

Hey Crutch,

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I have a skull cleaning business. I charge $100 for a whitetail deer which includes beetle cleaning, chemical degreasing,peroxide whitening and clear coat to seal the skull. Additional plaques and pedestals range in price from $35-60 for wall aplaqueand $60-100 for a wall or tablepedestal. The higher prices are for cherry, black walnut, or birds eye maple. So anywhere you go, expect to pay around $100 for skull cleaning and whitening. Be careful with taxidermists that boil skulls! They never turn out as nice asthe beetle cleaned or macerated process! Also make sure they are not using bleach to whiten! The bleach breaks down the bone on a molecular level and will continue to degrade over time causing the skull to flake. A good indicator as to the quality of the work is if the deers nasal turbinales are still in place. Quality skull cleanersstrive to leave the delicate nasal bones in place!If you have the time and the stomach I can teach you a process to macerate your own skulls in the garage or shed!I hope this helps, good luck, DREW