HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why good form
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why good form

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Arthur, thanks for the info.

It stimulated me to search a bit, and I found these sites. One gives a lot of statistics on bows and show a tremendous variation in them. The other stated that broadhead size pretty much went along with the size of the quarry. Large quarry - large broadhead. Only problem is, there are no specifics. One also said the the shooting range was very close, but didn't give specifics. Unfortunately, one article did say that there are lots of rumors about how capable indian-made bows were - most widely exaggerated.

http://www.geocities.com/archeryrob/indian_weapons.htm

http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belanger/quebechistory/encyclopedia/bowsandarrows.htm

I find this stuff very interesting. I'll have to do some more research. Unfortunately, I have a feeling most of any detailed knowledge has been lost forever. Ashby's studies are certainly new to this era. Indians of the past may have known this stuff - you know, how single edge broadheads penetrate better, even in bone and the irrelevancy of KE vs penetration. - and then again, maybe they didn't.
General history is good, local history is more detailed, more flavor, more personal. Just read it to read it. You'll come across things as you go along.

My brother and I stay at a place on a certain road with a name we had some fun with. Turns out there's quit a story behind it and it has to do with the culture of a tribe of native americans here in Ohio and a certain white woman that was captured. Said to be the first white person in those parts. She killed her husband years later (native american) by clubing him to death afterhe brought home another hottie The locals are clueless. Pitty.

One of my local history books details the killing of the last wolf in Ohio. Great story! That's the kind of stuff you get.