HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Happy Pappy
Spike

Default RE: My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Hotburn76
I work at the grain elevator in Maumee, so the walleye run is not foreign to me, but never really got into the whole river thing. Fished a LOT as a kid and I guess I got burned out. No desire to even pick up a pole. On the way to work during that 2-3 weeks I see license plates from all over the midwest... it's really a circus down there. I cross the Maumee bridge coming to work and the 475 bridge on the way home, so I see everyone. (even the game wardens hiding in the weeds with spotting scopes looking for snaggers!)

As far as the turnips, I'll report back to you guys. I've never seen a plant come up so fast. I planted them approx. Labor Day and got that 5" downpour the next day. Figured my plot was toast... 3 days later the turnips were up and rolling! Once it got hot, they grew like something out of amovie...When the leaves were small,the cam was showing deer hitting that field like it was made with sugar or something.. it was crazy. They seemed to have slowed as of late. My buddy tells me the sugar in the leaves change after a freeze and in late winter they'll start hitting that again. I'm seeing a few weeds in my plot... I'd like to bushhog it down and get some new growth and kill the weeds, but I don't if the turnips leaves will make a recovery before it gets too cold.