HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part II - Packing With Horses)
Old 10-22-2007, 12:09 PM
RedRiverHntr
Fork Horn

Default RE: Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part II - Packing)

I have a couple pointers!!!
Only rent horses from someone reputable and reliable! If you don't know an outfit, then buy you a pair of Manniers!!! (Panniers for man) I can carry two quarters at a time, one if back and one in the front. Bone it out and you can carry more. Just depends on how far in and how bad the trail is for walking!

I am not a horse fan. Friends say I am too much of control freak, probably so. I have neither the patience nor the perserverence nor the needto have my own horse. My wife is the horse lover in our family. WE will have them again I am sure!! I have ridden and been around horses that I would take up the trail after an elk. I wouldn't be able to take a horse of hers hunting as she knows that it would come back with scars it didn't have before. One never knows how a horse is going to react to blood and guts until you get them around it...hello rodeo!!! Or even if that gentle broke "good time Charley" will be so gentle once we get him out of Texas. Seen it go the other way many a time.

In the end, I am hard headed and still strong of back.........all things being equal, I would make 4 pack trips walking backwards before I would mess with horses!!! Huffing, puffing and loving every minute of it!!! I can think of no better way to leave this world.....dead along the trail, hauling out elk quarters, in the middle of the magnificient Rocky Mountains!!!

Thanks for the info EKM. Reading your story and the mental image of that mare giving you what I call "the crazy one-eye" reminds again of why I will carry mine out on atv, or me if that is not possible!