HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why good form
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why good form

Let's see....

Nearly every bow made any more is less than 40" long, making them more susceptable to unintended cant. Nearly every bow made is produced with a reflex riser geometry, making them extremely sensitive to 3rd axis torque. Add in high let-off and that just magnifies the problem. Precious few companies are putting grips on their bows that will force the hand and wrist into the correct postion any more - creating another susceptablity to torque. High intensity cams with steep slopes into let-off are pretty standard - meaning if you creep the slightest bit, you'll find a new meaning to the term 'become the arrow.' Hardly anything comes with a brace height much over 8", and 7" is fairly universal.

Why is shooting form so critical? Because the bow you've got in your hand is so flippin' critical! You are using a bow that was developed to deliver maximum speed, meant for shooting one arrow per station at a foam target at unknown yardage, with up to 2 minutes on the shooting stake to get every point of your shooting form perfect before releasing the arrow. Truth be known, you are using a dedicated 3D bow - a TARGET bow - to hunt with.

People have demanded speed and they have gotten speed, but at what cost? They now are forced to use their very best target form for hunting, and it's pretty rough going for most. MOST don't have a clue what good form is. MOST don't have anyone to teach them good form to start with. MOST don't practice nearly enough. And we're putting high performance target bows in their hands and letting them go to the woods. Pretty much the same as handing a non-driver the keys to a Ferrari Enzo and telling him to hit the freeway, without any training other than showing him the steering wheel, gear shift, throttle and brakes.

It just doesn't make sense.

I've been watching this discussion for a few days, biting my tongue, so to speak. Think I'm getting out of it before I bust into a full blown rant. [&:]