HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reality Check - A deer's ability to smell
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Reality Check - A deer's ability to smell

Wild animals are unpredictable in their reaction to scents, sights and sounds. What may work one time may not the next time. We all know they can smell, see and hear very good...most hunters will also admit to having noticed their 6th sense "the ability to sense danger when it isn't obvious". So the only absolute is minimize movement,noise & smell. How you go about this is where the lines can drawn in the sand between hunters. I can say i have tried just about everything and it really boils down to minimizing pressence and using the wind. I haven't used a cover scent for years, I don't use sport wash, scentlock, etc. I follow the common sense approach byrespecting their sense's. AKA: looking for natural/good concealment,watching my movements(minimizing skylining, get in early and undetected routes to and fro), being scent awareand most importantly keep the wind off their nose and on mine! If the winds wrong I simply don't hunt that location. I spent more hours scouting then hunting so that in any wind I have a place to hunt, plan D and E are better then running them off Plan A!! I am of the belief they make one mistake and I want to be on the right side of that mistake.

Basically use whatever makes you feel confident but don't forget the age long rules of hunting.

Personally I wouldn't use skunk smell as skunks spray when alarmed. Instead i'd use something thatmay potentially be unalarming likeregular deer pee, etc.

Good Luck