HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bought new remington .700 BDL
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 PM
JoeBigSky
Spike

Default RE: bought new remington .700 BDL

That model 700 BDL, in .270 caliber,has been my go to gun since the early 90s. It is a tack driver and I use it for basically everything in MT. Mine came with a horrendously adjustedtrigger, so I had that cleaned up (be sure to use a Remington certified gunsmith). This made a night and day difference in the rifle's shootability and only cost $25. Given the tremendous improvement in accuracy this trigger work resulted in, especially under field conditions, thisis now a mandatory adjustment on anygun I buy now.

While that was being done, I also had a Pachmyer recoil pad put on, which required cutting down the stock about 1.5 inches (as the stock length was perfect without the addition of the recoil pad). Didn't really need the pad for recoil (but it is nice for that). The pad also helps protect the butt of the stock under field conditions and assists in a good repeatable "cheek weld" during bench shooting. Not counting the price of the recoil pad (which was around $20), the install cost around $25 or so. It's been a while so I'm not certain.

However, the $70-75 spent on the triggerand recoil pad workwere well worth the cost. This 700 BDL can shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yds that has all the holes touching.Under field conditions, it has performedexceptionally without exception. Often under extreme, late season-frigidconditions as well. Be sure to break down the bolt, clean the factory gunk out and use a dry synthetic lube on the firing mechanism.

Put a good scope onyour 700 BDL (minehas a Leupold 3-9) and this rifle will be up to the task if you are, and will likely be handed down to a youngster when you're getting long in the tooth. LOL.

My .02s