HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3 Down (Part 1 - The Hunt)
Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY Colorado Elk Hunt: 1-2-3

Almost every year it seems that you (and most of your party) have their elk on the ground by the first or second day of the hunt.
After it is over, do you ever wish you'd spent more time actually hunting??
Nope, I'm there to kick ass and take names; plus I have the whole thing staged just the way I like it, the hunting and the killing is a significant but minority part of the outing.

"....it seems you may be hunting the same exact area year after year...."
Different drainages within the same forest district depending on the results of the scouting report.

"But...."
"But" means you are about to discount or disallowwhatever came before the "but."

"....when you have two tags, and particularly one for a bull, do you ever desire to refrain from pulling the trigger in hopes of finding something bigger?"
Sometimes, but then I slap myself and remind myself of the realities of hunting the Elkhead Mountains District which is a penesula of USFS ground surrounded by private ground with a very high density of hunters on the public ground.... 5 day season, less than 10% of the take comes from days 3, 4, and 5. Many a poor boy has found out the math the hard way, of course thru the Internet you wouldn'tbe aware ofthat.

"....and prolonging the chance to be "purposefully afield"?"
Thought I was "afield" and was quite "purposeful." The stand hunters sitting within a 1/4 mile of the road and/or trailhead seemed to think so. If elk can think, then they probably thought so too.

After all, I don't think that anybody would generally characterize the action as "kind of slow" on a day they've already killed one elk.
I know the area and I know seeing 25 elk when you normally see over a 100 is slow, popping two cows out of a group of8 is no measuring stick of the rate of action at all.

Thanks
Great job.
Let's see some pics
I used to do pix, but don'ttypically do so anymore, I'll consider, but seems to bea waste offur in the past.
EKM, out.