HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - RUBLINE INVESTMENTS
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 12:39 PM
logs

Default RE: RUBLINE INVESTMENTS

Shed33, JMO
1. How much stock do you put into rublines that you find in your winter/spring scouting right now, for the upcoming season in the fall?
I look at them as a sure sign that a buck was in the area. There is no way of knowing right now if that same buck made it thru the season but I believe that if that buck was taken, another will fill in that area. I also believe from what I' ve seen that the same rublines will reappear year after year. No one sign by itself causes me to hunt an area. But rublines are up there near the top.

2. Those of you that do hunt rublines annually, What do you look for in a quality rubline and ambush area?
Agian rublines are only part of the equation. I hunt them in conjunction with other factors. I believe that the rubbed area is the direction that the buck approached. I' ve seen bucks make rubs and that is the way it occurred and It only makes sense. Therefore when I set upI locate my stand between two well established rubs taking the wind into consideration as always.
As far as the rub itself goes, the bigger the tree the better. Even the largest buck will rub a small sapling but only the large buck will rip up a 6 inch tree or cut into adjacent trees when rubbing. Those rubs are special.
Also the line itself will be clear. It will fit into a natural travel pattern.

3. What phase of the " hunting season' (pre/scraping/rut/post) do you spend most of your time bowhunting rublines?
I hunt a rubline when it is the best of the signs Im seeing but it is not my primary method during the rut. Then Im hunting over does and scrape areas with does. That usually relates to feed areas and the areas between the bedding area and food.

4. How many bucks have you personally harvested on rubline set ups?
I never kept track of it but there have been several times when the rubline was the only or primary reason for stand placement and I scored from those stands. Other times it was a combination of factors if that makes any sense.