HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SHOOTING HIGH OR LOW FROM TREESTAND?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 AM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SHOOTING HIGH OR LOW FROM TREESTAND?

Rob has it right...I shot over a doe twice this year, she wasn't dropping, she came back in, never lost sight of her...

Shooting from the top of my house (20-25 feet up) I have all the room in the world to bend at the waist and have proper form...Put a deer under me, in a tree stand with my back to the tree and I tend to just lower my arm...I went to a bow shop that has been around since the 60s, this guy knows his stuff, in fact he even hunted with Fred Bear....

Here is what he explained and also showed me...You must bend your neck, feel the string on your nose...It's like a guy shooting over a turkey with a shotgun, he is looking over the barrel at the turkey and not getting down on the stock, which raises your rear sight, when you raise the rear sight on a gun (or a bow) you shoot high....

He installed 2 nocks (like a peep) on my bow string to let me line up on my pin, I've killed 2 does with it since...

Btw, I hold 2/3 of the way down on a deer, behind the shoulder....

When you are 20 feet up in a tree, a deer at 20 yards from the base of your tree might range 21 yards, because you are actually that far away, but you should hold for the range at the base of the tree, or range a tree at your height...It's not enough difference to worry about, forget it...

Finally, a deer will jump the string, no matter how fast your bow is, the trick is to shoot at deer that are relaxed, not tense...If that deer has sensed that you are there, don't shoot....