HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Survival Bow
Thread: Survival Bow
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Flix

Default RE: Survival Bow

xseven,

I spend a lot of time learning and practicing wilderness survival skills and have considered the benefits of bringing a bow vs. crafting one in the field. I tend to agree that a firearm is generally superior for stocking the larder as well as defense. That being said, I understand that some in places, firearms are prohibited and that some people are either opposed to or prohibited from possessing them.

Depending on the amount of space you can spare, you could pack a takedown recurve (with extra bow strings) and some broadheads. Back when external frame packs were popular, I heard of somebody keeping a couple of arrows in the vertical frame tubes. You might be able to find room for several carbon shafts in a fishing rod tube. I would prefer bare shafts, which could have multiple uses. Instead of fletching, I would carry several FOBs.

This seems like a lot to pack. A good quality slingshot seems a much simpler solution, especially given the relative low priority that meat gathering has in a survival situation.

You might find some helpful input over in the Wilderness Survival Forum.

-- FLIX