HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ethics question - Tagging deer
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Finch

Default RE: Ethics question - Tagging deer

So you find your deer 2 weeks later, Duc....and KNOW it's the same deer you killed, earlier.....and you keep hunting with that tag?
Yes I would. The Reg. book states that the animal must be tagged upon vehicle transport of the carcass or at conclusion of hunting hours.

Honestly, I didn't need a reg. book to answer that question. I already knew what I would do no matter what the book said. Call me unethical but it just doesn't make sense to me to tag something you can't use or enjoy!

Me......I get two bucks/season in my zone (Eastern zones get 4). If I were to arrow an 8-pointer (for the sake of the scenario depicted).....and find him 2 weeks later......I now (in my eyes) have 1 buck tag left.....and I report the 1st kill. I killed it. I need to tag it.
As would I, if I wanted the antlers (AND I would). The book says I have to tag it before I transport the carcass anyway. Say its a real NICE 8 pointer andI wanted to get it mounted...gotta tag it anyway before showing up to the taxi.

Perhaps I don't give a darn about antlers and I found that 8 pointer a couple weeks later like you say. Then I wouldn't tag it.Why not Duc...its a buck ? No, just a doe with antlers. I would treat them both equally in the above situation.