HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger ?
Thread: Ruger ?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
RugerMike
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ruger ?

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I have heard many complaints about Ruger rifle accuracy. But I have been using various Ruger rifles, mostly #1's, since 1972 and have yet to encounter one that won't shoot. However, all the ones I've used were used with handloaded ammo, not factory loads. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, since at least in the beginning, all of them were fired with ammo originally loaded for other f=rifles. However, tailored loads were developed as well, and with these most Rugers shot MOA or better. The best one was a 1B in 7mm Rem Mag., which started out shooting 1" groups AT 200 YARDS.

Without knowing what, if anything has been done to your rifles to make them shoot, I can't give much in the way of suggestions, other than to recommend trying to develop some handloads for those rifles that will give better performance.
As stated above I too have owned and still have a couple of dozen in my personal collection at this time. I would stack any of them up against and other manufacturer out there for reability and accuracy. The triggers can be fixed with very little problem if you know what to do and every one of them will have a sweet spot for a certain ammo as well. This certainly don't make them junk( as stated in anothers post) It just makes them a little more tempermental in what they like. Take some time and check all of the items mention before, like scope, bases, rings, and have a good rest. I would suggest going to a heavy bullet. The 120 doesn't match the rifle twist in the Ruger 7mm-08 (try 139 or 140grain) Federal or Hornady. This will help you out greatly.

Mike