HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy... Keene NY
Old 10-10-2007, 05:38 AM
salty444
Fork Horn

Default 3 Bear cubs on wall of Taxidermy... Keene NY

I was on a small vacation visiting the Whiteface Inn in lake Placid this past weekend with my wife. She wanted to do some small shopping and decided to stop at North Country Taxidermy and trading post located in Keene NY. While she was looking at other things I noticed 3 black bear cubs mounted to logs on the wall. I thought this was rather odd since I thought it was illegal to shoot cubs or their mothers in NY. When I asked the woman working at the store why they had the cubs for sale on the wall. She quoted

" Happens all the time. When we shoot the mother what are we supposed to do.............. let the cubs starve? I hunt with my boys all the time and we do this alot"

I was extremely irrated at this comment from her. Last time I shot a bear I had to have the DEC come and weight it, take a tooth and a sample of meat. They checked the nips to make sure it was not nursing cubs and thenThey gave me a tag to bring to the taxidermy. I am having a hard time believing a DEC officer would allow someone to shoot 3 cubs after they just shot the mother only to savethem from the cold.

Personally I think this gives hunters a bad rap. After seeing this I started to nosy around the store. They must have had about 50 very small black bear skins, About 100 dear heads with the horns cut off and about 50 of them were spikes. Largest rack was an extremely nice 10 point selling for $90.00................... what does this tell you about North County Taxidermy and trading post located in Keene, NY ???