HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big 10 Down in KS (Story Added)
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
MichaelHunsucker
Nontypical Buck

Default Big 10 Down in KS (Story Added)

John and Clayton scored this morning on an awesome Kansas deer. A cold front just moved through the midwest and the deer have been on their feet. Ill add the story when i get some more info. I know Shawn and I will be hunting both the AM and PM tomorrow! Check out this great buck!

Here is the story from John:

O.K. Here we go.

I have a stand that I set every year on a long white oak flat that connects a bedding area on top and a crop field on bottom. This year there are beans in the field. My stand is in the middle of this ridge and sets in what I call the "Big Oak," This is the biggest baddest white oak around and I fertilize it and the trees around it every year. This year the acorns came on late and they are really dropping, the deer, especially bucks love it! So early October is one of THE best times to kill a big buck here. Clayton and I sat an evening on Oct. 11th last year and had two 150's come through just after camera light. It is good during the rut too but a lot of the time the bucks are moving through to fast to get a shot. I have shot now from this location a 149", a 152", a 158", a 162" and now this buck in the last 7 years. This is also where Clayton shot his buck on film last year.

Now for the hunt.

We got in fairly early and took the long way around, actually to get into this stand you have to make a big half moon loop so you don't spook deer off the bean field. Bottom line, you get in behind the deer and as day breaks they start heading your way. Right at daylight I hear a deer coming and it turns out to be a great 3.5 year old 9 point, probably 130-135. This deer hangs around for literally 1 hour within 5 yards of the tree. He has a doe with him and they feed around the tree, at one point he licks the treesteps. Then Clayton asks if the buck (the 9 point) has bedded down, I say "no, he is right under us," then Clayton says, "then there is another buck bedded 30 yards from us." I look and see the 10 point I shoot bedded down by my mineral lick. He is guarding the darn thing. He lays around for awhile then gets up at about 8 o'clock. He stretches and slowly makes his way towards us, stopping, eating, smelling, pooping, etc. He starts to rub a tree not 20 yards from us but I have to wait several minutes before he steps out for a shot. At one point, he was 2 steps from the opening, then turned and went back a few yards, my heart sank. Then he heads towards the tree and cuts out at about 17 yards and gives me a great shot, the rest is history, he ran about 60 yards and crashed.

We celebrate then catch our breath and relax. Then I spot another deer coming, it is a doe, with 2 great bucks behind her. One great 9 point, probably 140 and another mature buck with some killer eyeguards, they eat and spar with each other, then the doe makes her way towards us and several times offering a shot but no camera angle, so after 20 minutes of cat and mouse she comes out and steps within feet of where I shot the buck. I draw and hit her and there are two arrows in the ground right next to each other, awesome sight. You will see the rest. Looks like he will net around 146". Gross 150's.