HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY ELK
Thread: DIY ELK
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY ELK

Most Outfitters want their drop camp hunters to have some experience in Elk hunting, and Mountain hunting. I know when I did my first Elk hunt I had to fill out a contract, and questions about my experience. Not saying they won't let you do a drop camp, but prefer experienced hunters. Mountain Elk hunting is nothing like whitetail hunting. Its a whole new world. If you've never been into the Mountains at higher elevations pursueing Elk your in for a experience. If you have experience hunting out of camps with limited means that would be good. But if you've never really roughed it, relied on dried foods like Mountain house, no cooler means, limited water, having to cut all your own firewood, and prepare own meals on camp stoves, and fire pits. This isn't the hunt for you. You will also need to know how to quarter up your own game, and pack it back to camp. I know $ is a big issue. But trust me if you want to do it right, and safely the first time. Save your $, and do a fully guided service. Get the experience, and knowledge, and do the cheaper drop camps down road. I think you'll find you will have a much better experience your first time that way.