HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DIY ELK
Thread: DIY ELK
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Davoh
Fork Horn

Default DIY ELK

Hey everybody.

My dad and I are wanting to go into a DIY Elk hunt. We've been whitetail hunters primarily all my 25 years, but we've always talked about going after the Wapiti.

We dont really have the camping equipment for it, and dont have the cash for a big guided affair, so we're considering a drop camp type hunt. Where the outfitters provide the tents, the basic equipment and the pack animals, drop you off and it's up to you.

We've never been Elk hunting before, so I'm sure we'll get skunked, but I'm not too worried about that.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on it?
I like colorado, but dont want to rely on a draw permit system. Are there anystates that do non-resident over the counter elk tags? even for cows doesnt bother me.

I know we're looking at a LARGE chunk of change on this deal, even doing a semi DIY drop camp.... Hopeing to keep it under $4,000 (gas/groc/extra equipment we dont have/everything) for both of us together. Obviously the cheaper the better. I'm not worried about getting a 300" trophy. But you know how it goes.....

Any info helps, especially of any sites or books I should look. Especially for the how-tos on everything from elk tactics, to back country packing, to equipment lists(especially this).

Thanks everyone.