HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my dog bit my daughter...
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Straightarrow

Default RE: my dog bit my daughter...

I have tons of experience training all kinds of dogs - mostly hounds, but plenty of guard-type dogs like boxers, pitt bulls and rotties. Very few dogs are beyond training against aggression as a pup. A very small percentage have some kind of short circuit which keeps them from respecting humans, but most can be made to - without any physical damage.

They are not like humans. They are pack animals who respect a social order, but they have to be taught that order. They do not respect kindness, they attempt to dominate people who do not first show dominance. Kindness and affection come after you and your children demonstrate that you are the dominant ones. Most dogs will attempt to get to the top of the social order of a household through aggression. The aggression gets worse and worse until the dog is either put in it's place or it obtains the top - pack leader. I've seen many families where the dog is pack leader and it's sad. They are almost all dangerous to a degree. Remember, a dog want to be leader or it wants to be led. You can't allow them to settle in. You and your household members have to lead.

Not all dogs are food aggressive, but many are. The ones that show it, are simply attempting gain a higher position in the pecking order. Dominant dogs eat first. That can't be allowed. Children eat first. They give the food to the dog and in a very organized, controlled way. In my home, my children were brought up as pack leaders. They gave the dogs commands before the dog was allowed to eat. The dogs had to sit still and quietly before they would be allowed to approach the food bowl. All of our many dogs had to obey each child, even when they were very young. I trained the kids to train the dogs. There are literally a million ways to control dogs and gain their respect. The most effective require force, but nothing that hurts the dog. ie. holding them on their backs and controlling their stuggles to get up until they submit. Not allowing them to eat until you give the command and then being able to stop them just as readiy. If they don't, once again you have to control them physically - but not by hitting or screaming. Dogs that are frightened do not learn nearly as well as dogs that are controlled.

Your pup is showing nothing unusal, but no pup should be allowed around small children until training is complete and thorough. This is an easy one to correct if you want to take the time and have the desire to have you and your children become the dominant members of the household. If not, you shouldn't be a dog owner.