HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear almost stole my deer
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 AM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Default Bear almost stole my deer

I shot a doe Monday at 6:15 pm. After looking at my arrow and the blood I determined it was a good hit. I walked back to my vehicle and put in my bow and grabbed my flashlight and called the wife and told her I would be home a bit later. Following the blood trail which was easy for 100 yds, I lost it. I called my friend who came up to help. We picke the trail back up and track it for about another 75 - 100 yds before we found her - about 1 1/2 hours after the hit. There was a 3" hole in front of her hip and she was dragged about 15 feet. The hair and a bit of meat taken out of her hindquarters. We could hear the bear circling us in the dark. Needless to say, it was the fastest dressing/dragging job I ever did. On the way out my friend made a comment that if it starts pulling back, to drop the rope and run. I found out yesterday that if you have a License to carry firearms permit you are now allowed to carry a sidearm during PA archery season. I will be carrying my Styer M40 from now on. I also found out that in the early archery/muzzleloader season you can carry both a bow and a muzzleloader.