HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pics and Stories of Your First Bowkills
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
fun2hunt
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pics and Stories of Your First Bowkills

Mine was in 2005 2nd time ever bowhunting. I had a friend that told me I could hunt his 35 acres until I arrived that morning on Oct 22, 2005. I saw a truck with 4 guys in it with muzzleloaders and my heart sank. It was the first day of Muzz season but no one else was supposed to be on the land. Apparently the land had just sold that led to my friend's land and it was the only access to my spot. I talked to the guys and there were already hunters in position so I told them no problem I just need a ridge or somewhere I can hunt facing west because of the wind. He told me about a trail on the river bottom off a rock cliff in this guys back yard. By now it was just starting to get light and I wasn't in a spot yet. So me and my neighbors boy who was 13 at the time walked to the only opening we could find between the tops of the trees on this ridge and just sat down to be quiet because the sun was coming up and we didn't want to spook anything. When it became light I looked down and saw a small trail by the rock cliff and one small rub. I let things settle down and then about 8:20a I started trying different calls. At 8:25a I tried the doe in estrus call since I knew the pre-rut was just starting. I heard something to my left and saw brown and I thought it was a squirrel in the tree because I had to look through the trees to see the ground. Next thing I know I see antlers. I could believe it. He walked right along the edge of that cliff straight to me. I was sitting in a fold out chair and started to draw as he went behind the tree next to me about to come into the clearing below me. I tried to put my pin on him but it was about 2 inches above him and I couldn't get it down. I looked down and my other arrow was still in the quiver on my bow and it was hitting the rock I was sitting on. I scraped it to get the bow pointing straight down and he heard it and stopped perfectly broadside. I pointed at the shoulder and hit my thumb release. I didn't even think I hit him until I saw the fletching sticking out as he ran off. I was shaking so hard, LOL. It was a miracle. You never know how a hunt is going to come together. He was a 1.5 year old 6 pt. He took 1 final leap off a rock towards the river and broke one side of his rack off. I never found it in the thick brush. I look back now and it was also a miracle that I found him because I shot him straight down into the shoulder muscle. It took and hour and a half of looking and prayer to find him. What a memory!

Here are a couple of pics of me and my neighbor Brian with the buck.