HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Slo-Pitch
Fork Horn

Default RE: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

orignal by: reswire
Slavery was also a tradition in the south...If you asked anysoutherner of that day,he wouldhave saidit was only a "few bad apples" that owned slaves.
have to disagree there. Slavery was not a tradition, it was a necessity of a large farm plantation of the time,nothing personal, slaves were farm equipment to plantation owners, nothing more, bought and sold just as farm equipment is today. In the north there were undoubtly less slaves than in the south but that was because the north had become industrealized (SP) and had no need for slaves, the south however was mostly still agricultural and that was thier livleyhood they were fighting for. Just about anyone who farmed and had enough money/land in thecountry (north and south)had slaves. White people owned black slaves, black people owned black slaves, black people owned white slaves. Slavery had nothing to do with being black it had to do with being sold into slavery for whatever reason.
I am glad we can have a civilized conversation about this.

On to the dog hunting...
I agree that the hound hunters as a majority are shooting themselves in the foot with the way they do things, only problem I have with that is, they are also shooting MY foot. I also agree that it will be a thing of the past within the next 10 years, either because of a law or simply because of the fact that all the large tracts are being sold and split up, one or the other will end hound hunting in VA. BUT... we as hunters need to stick together no matter what side of the fence we are on about this issue. If any of the anti groups win a fight against any part of hunting they are winning a fight against hunting as a whole.

Lets have a good season folks...