HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - kill all deer in PA
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
rybohunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: kill all deer in PA

I'll play along....

Shooting mature does off early createss a void....maybe if you killed EVERY doe during an early season, I could see that. But the amount of deer taken early in this state is surely not going to create any "voids" of deer. AND its been thought that shooting mom, keeps the dispersal rates lower.

like it or not, deer are not just targets for hunters. Man/deer conflicts do and will forever have an impact on how many deer we are able too keep in a population. PA hats lots of roads and lots of drivers who don't pay attention and run over deer. THis raises cane on down the line. therefor we need to try and keep the numbers lower and hope there are less collisions. I don't like it either, but that's how it is these days.

What many are failing to grasp was the issue that the numbers of deer were too high for the habitats to support in a healthy manner for both the deer and the habitat itself. It's much more complex than managing for jimbob who wants to see 20 deer everytime he steps foot in the woods.

And yea I agree about the units, they should be smaller, but even in a small unit you could go from town to no where in a short period of time. they aren't going to create units that circle every little town.