HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - who has hunted and not scored?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 06:15 PM
wack
Fork Horn

Default RE: who has hunted and not scored?

I passed on a couple opening day and have only seen 4 deer at 40 yards, 20 yards off the property since. I usually get something opening week but it's been slow. Real warm, the bucks still have velvet hanging on some, and have pretty much stayed out of the good area's for now til this weather cools off. For me this is kind of a scout, and take what you can get. When I see something I can get a pattern on, I'll move in closer with my climber stand. 2 years ago this was good place for spot and stalk, it's grown so thick, it seems I can't get out of the bedding area now, spot and stalk is near impossible. Evening hunts we're finding deer bedded down by our permanant stands. Not a good sign. I hunted a few mornings and have totally struck out with that. Walked in at 4:30 am and never been busted by so many deer that I couldn't see. 50 yards from the truck and deer whistling and snorting all around me. Walked right back to my tent and went back to sleep. lol Figured I was on to something though, and tried again 2 mornings later only to find the neighbor had cut all his corn and plowed the field under too. I found the staging area for this field when the wind is from the south or southwest and I found it too late. I think they plowed it under just to piss us off. They allways cut the corn in fall and plowed in the spring! WTF? So no corn field, no need to stage. With about 2000 acres of standing corn on the other side of a double 4 lane highway, since the corn on our side has been cut, 12 deer have been hit on the highway with in that 1/4 mile. The deer in our woods have either crossed the highway or died trying. Seems the new highway has cut off the deer bedding grounds from the corn fields and commuting back and forth isn't working out too well for the deer or cars. Can't blame the farmer on our side though. If he didn't cut it soon, ther'd be nothing left. But to plow it under?
The farmer who lost his land to the new highway, subdevided the rest of his land into 2 and 5 acre lots, everything around the 80 acres is going to crap. About 20 acres to the north has just been clear cut. Houses going up everywhere, and they all seem to think our logging roads are great fun on there atvs, mountain bikes and cross country ski's. It's been like a park lately with tresspassers. We've never herd such dumb excuses for tresspassing either. Pretty soon I'll be putting a deer stand on the shoulder of the damn highway right next to the deer xing sign. I've recked 2 trucks, and my buddy 1 truck on that new highway hitting deer on the way to and from hunting there. Arrows are much cheaper. I think I need a new place to hunt...closer to home. lol Sorry for the rant, all these insect bites kind of got me on edge. lol