HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - shot straight down from the stand
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default RE: shot straight down from the stand

[align=left]My two biggest deer were straight down shots. Big bucks rarely present theperfect senario. They are there for only a few seconds then gone most times never to be seen again. Its a lethal shot, both bucks never new what hit them and continued walking and fell over within 20 yards. Your first season you will be overwhelmed with buck fever, don't try the shot. [/align]
I practice the shot and have taken it successfully. That said, it's not a good shot. I never had a problem except for a long track(and some very short ones)[8D] BUt, there's too many things can go wrong,... one lung, heavy bone etc. Most people aim too far forward on this shot and end up getting very little that's vital. Wait for him to move out away from the tree is best.
Wait. This is your first year, you should take the highest of percentage shots. at least 8 yds away and broadside or slightly quartering AWAY. Max distance is debatable, but I recomend to new guys no more than 25yds. Also if you can, shoot from elevation cause you will need to concentrate on keeping your form and bending at the waust. GOod luck.
There's a lot of wisdom in these forums, guys. Use it.

I clipped a nice buck (for my woods) on the 12th of Sept., last year.....and I'll never forget it. I was shook. It wasn't a straight down shot, either. I was blessed to see this same buck the day after Thanksgiving.....and by the time I could turn around to see who had jumped into my set.....he was standing almost right underneath me at about 2-4 yds. I "almost" drew to shoot.....but thought he deserved better than I could have probably done. I never drew.....honestly thinking he might offer up a better opportunity. He didn't....but I still know I did the right thing.

Now.......I don't know. Ill cross that bridge when and if I ever get to it, again.

Great stuff, guys.