HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM
zuren1cs
Spike

Default Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?

I have recently moved and no longer have my 2 hunting buddies to rely on for transportation out in the woods; both had full size pickups. So I'm looking to get a small "something" that I can use around here (New England) and perhaps drive back to MI when I'm back there to hunt.

I have always wanted a Jeep and you can find a '91-95 at a reasonable price ($4-5k, sometimes cheaper). I don't want anything that is so nice and new that it's too expensive and/or I'll feel bad about beating on it. I have considered small pickups but I'm always looking back to Jeeps, both for their utility, capability and "fun" with the top down. I would add one of those trays that slide into a 2" hitch receiver and maybe a beefed-up rear tire/fuel can/gear rack:

I have considered an older Jeep Scrambler ('81-86, Jeep-like with some pickup capability) but that comes with several issues:

- less than 28,000 ever made over the 5 years, not very common
- there has been a resurgence in interest in this vehicle, lots of people looking for them
- were very prone to rust and rot out, so many are gone
- ones that aren't rusted heaps are $10-15k for a 21+ year old vehicle

Jeep Scrambler (shown with half-hard top; full hardtops and soft-tops are available, as well as a rear seat):

My 2 hunting partners and I have been talking about going out west to hunt in Fall 2008 and we would like to be able to take a vehicle with us that would be useful everyday in the NE and Midwest, as well as being mildly to moderately capable on trails and 2 tracks out west. I'm thinking a Jeep may be the better choice but I'm looking for input on what others use!

Thanks!