HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Beginner Hunter Guns..
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
IndyHunter83
Typical Buck

Default RE: Beginner Hunter Guns..

It really depends on alot of things. how old you are? What your budget is? How good a shot you are? what the hunting conditions will be? what your average shot will be? As far as shotguns go, the 870 Remington is a great gun. You could get one with a slug barrel. There accurate out to about 80-90 yds. As far as centerfire rifles, personally i started with single shot .243. Great gun for every thing from ground hogs to deer within 200 yds. I've killed deer with it as far out as 300 yds, but was lucky as H3LL. Out side of that 30-30 is a great cartridge out to 150 or 200 yards if that is your average shot. Alot of the guys that I hunted with through high school used and lived by the 3006 and 270. both are great flat shooting cartridges. Like the other guys in this room, I recommend the 270. Been thinking about getting one my self. My personal favorite deer gun is .50 caliber muzzleloader. I've killed plenty of deer with them and in all types of conditions. I picked my newest one up for just under $200 dollars and picked off a nice doe with last at 130 yds. Thats my say. Hope i helped. BTW you may want to find out what types of fire arms are legal for your state before selecting a gun. I'm in Indiana and we are only allowed to use shotgun and muzzleloader, but kentuck, the other state i hunt, allows centerfires.