HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - UPDATE - Buck Found
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 PM
AppleOnMyHead

Default RE: UPDATE - Buck Found

ORIGINAL: Jellio

Thanks guys for all the positive input I got last night even though I only got 2 hours of sleep. I haven't been able to get on the forum until now becuase it was down or not working. I found the buck 60 yards from my stand. I learned a few things that I'd like to share first off although I determined the deer died within minutes of the shot I think I made the right choice in backing out for the night. As I said before I also need to focus on my arrow and the deer more when shooting because the shot was absolutly perfect and I couldn't even tell when I made the shot last night. 3rd there wasn't a blood trail at all I found the deer by walking down the trail he was on when I saw him. I'm not going to knock my Montec cause it flew true and did the job but a more defined blood trail would have been a nice piece of mind when backing out last night. It still hasn't hit me yet this is my first buck with a bow but I now when it does I'll relish the moment the rest of my life. Here's a pic and thanks again guy's for all the input your awsome. It's not a huge buck and there was some ground shrinkage but to me it's a trophy I'll always remember.
I wouldn't blame the broadheads just yet. I put a double lung shot on a deer at close range with a .270 once. It ran a good ways and left absolutely NO blood trail. I was able to visually watch it as it ran away because I could see flashes between the trees and the deer ran a half circle from the end of my stand.I started following the direction of the deer and the kicked up leaves and the deer actually went down just after I lost my visual. Upon inspecting the downed deer, there was a couple small drops of blood from the entry wound, the side facing down when the deer fell. It was the only two drops of blood I ever found and this was a double lung shot at close range with a high powered rifle!

I also shot a deer broad side from the same stand with a crossbow and it blew blood spatter 10 yards from the exit, which was perpendicular to the way the deer ran off.

A buddy of mine, who had never been hunting before, shot a doe with the rifle used in the previous kill and it actually ran back towards us, obviously badly wounded. It stopped and my buddy couldn't get the deer back in the scope before it started to take off again. It actually stopped within shotgun range and I didn't want to blood trail a wooded deer just before dark so I finished it off with some triple ott buck shot. We shot the deer on opposite sides and were unable to find where my buddy had shot it, even though it was obviously badly wounded.

My point to all these stories is extremely wierd things can happen in the deer woods, but you got you kill. Congrats man.