HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - german shorthair
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 AM
kdvollmer

Default RE: german shorthair

I am in the same boat that you are in right now. I have though decided on getting a GSP based on what I have been told here from these guys. If you look back through some of the older posts you will find the discussion. I asked all the same questions that you did. From what I am told, they are excellent family dogs in general. Just lie any other breed, there can be some issues, but that can generally be worked out before you get a pup if you do your home work on the breeder and the lines that you are getting a pup from. I won't go into too much detail as I am sure that somebody else will. They can be high strung dogs in the house, and they can be excellent calm dogs in the house. it can go either way. I have been told that they are great with kids. how well might depend on how old they are, but in general, very good. I have a 5 year old and a one year old, and I am not too concerned.
Based on what you are saying, I will venture to tell you to look for a good reputable breeder that works more a "hunting line dog". From what I have seen, there are more or less 3 main lines within the breed. Show dogs, trial dogs, and just plain hunting dogs.I don't mean to upset anybody here, but this seems to be the consensus that I have gotten from many sources. ALL WILL HUNT FOR YOU.. BUT show dogs don't generally have the same drive as trial dogs. Trial dogs will tend to range a little farther out as well. something that is a just hunting dog will tend not to range as far as a trial dog, and will be a little easier to manage in the house. The huntinggenerally wont be as "perfect for the show ring" or might not point withall the "style" of the trial dog, but he will point your birds, retreive your brids, AND make a fine companion. If you are not going to hunt a whole bunch, or you are not going to do field trials, i would suggest the hunting line. I have found a breeder in Alabama that I feel fits this bill nicely for me. PM me and I will be happy to put you in contact with David. I do know that there is an excellent breedeing that was scheduled for about 2 weeks ago so there should be puppies available to take home sometime in Late December.
I would however talk to all these other guys too to get their opinion. There are people here that have much more knowledge than I do on this breed, and that might be able to help you find just the right breeder.

Good luck. I hope that this helps.

kurt