HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dosent look right????
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM
nctaxi
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dosent look right????

I guess it could be interpreted that way but let me explain... I live in an area with 3 community colleges that have taxidermy courses. Therefore there are a lot of taxidermists in my immediate area. Most, if not all, have good intentions but don't understand basic business, which means that they charge sometimes absurdly low prices. Now I had to decide early on if I wanted to be one of those guys or try really hard to make a name for myself, so I studied further with some top notch, world class taxidermists. I am fortunate to call most of them friends, now. And if there is one thing that they all taught me, figure your time and expenses (all of them) and then figure your profit and that will give you your price. I have guys that charge, at last check, $165 all the way up to $500, with the average being $275. (Being in NC we have the current Best in World Whitetail - Tommy Hall, current National Champion Whitetail - Keith Bowman, National Champion Gameheads - Chris Barnhardt, National Champion Birds - Mark Benfieldand a few other really good taxidermists, sorry but I had to brag). Why do some guys think that they can make any money at $275? I have on good authority that one of the largest suppliers is going up 20% on lifesize mannikins and a good percent on all others. Now with current shipping costs, electric, advertising, paints, etc (ALL the things that go into a whitetail shoulder mount) you come up with a grand total of right around $150 (some might be more, some less). So after this the have a grand total of $125 to work with. So let's say that it takes 10 hours to mount a deer, they're making $12.50 an hour right? Wrong, remember basic business 101. Where is their profit? Using this math, they are only covering basic business expense and as such are not going to be in business very long. Guys pop up burn out by the dozens every year. I wish everyone could afford to have something mounted but I can't cut my prices to accomodate them. I don't think that some people shouldn't be able to afford it, but some can't affordupper end.It's no different than hunting, some guys can afford to spend $8,500 to hunt mulies, I can't but maybe I can afford $1500. Am I going to get the same experience (quality), maybe not. Am I going to enjoy it just the same, hopefully.