HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?
Old 02-11-2003, 03:00 PM
noway

Default Best Mule deer on public land general tag areas?

Which state do you think has the best quality mule deer bucks on public land that you can hunt with a general tag or reasonable draw odds ( 33% or better). I am talking areas the average guy can afford to hunt.
Of the areas I have experience with I think Southern Idaho is very good. Lots of high mountain country to hunt. Good quality bucks in all general mountain areas. Lots of country so it is possible to get away from the crowd if you are willing to hike a little bit.
Wyomings popular public land hunts like G and H seem to really get hammered. I am surprised they can continue to put out the quality of trophies they do every year. I have hunted H a few times and there are lots of average bucks but very crowded early in the season.
I think many of the high priced high odds mule deer hunts are overrated and a guy is better off to put in for areas he can draw tags in and get to know the areas the bucks are hanging out in.
Anybody want to chime in with opinions on this one?
Don't give out any good spot info this is just for general discussion.