HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best prairie dog rifle?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM
zmax hunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best prairie dog rifle?

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

you should see how they come apart with .308 and .300 Win Mag. I was in SD for deer, pheasant and coyote, and our yote "guide" cancelled so we went to the dog town with all we had with us. That made a mess. 175 grainers in the .308 and 150 power shocks from the .300. WOW can you say KER-SPLAT!!!!!!!
I know, neither of these are practical dogging rifles, but fun every now and then for grins. I just think something a little bigger then the .17 or the .22 for bucking th wind on th elonger shots. Doesn't seem to take too much wind to affect eiher of these bullets. Seems all the dog towns tha tI have been on were in pretty wide open places. I have to say a .223 is a good round. pretty good at some distance, and relativly cheap to shoot. Sure lots of others, but that isn't a bad choice.
OH YA on the .300 win mag, i have a .22-250 also, but once the close dogs go down the hole, i unleash the winmag on the 400+ yard dogs, i reload 125 grain nosler ballistic tips, honesly you don't find much left, the exploding factor weighs in heavy , i have taken out four dogs with one rifle shot due to fragging bullets. For the 22-250 i use 55 grain sxsp bullets.
Good luck on those varmits, just be sure to save some for next year,