HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - is this good
Thread: is this good
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM
buckstalker1187

Default RE: is this good

Its perfectly fine buck slayer. When I first started shooting bows I couldn't pull back 45 pounds and I weighed about 190 pounds.

Ithas less to do with strength as it does technique.
I remember, I was in 10th grade and was bench pressing about 290 pounds at the time. The older gentleman who taught me how to hunt told me to come over to his house one day. I was excited because everytime I went over there, he had something interesting to teach me. When I got there he said, we are going to try something different today. You have been shooting guns for years but now I think its time for you to shoot a bow. He chuckled as he pulled an old compound bow off his wall as he said, " you say that you're strong ......right? " I said sure! He told me that this bow was for someone about my age and size to start out with. He said Im gonna show ya how to pull it back, then I want you to do it. he showed me with ease then he handed it over......Now it was my turn.

For the life of me I could not pull that bow back for most of the day. He asked if it bothered me that I could not pull it back. I said yes, I was so discouraged that a 74 year old man could pull it back and I couldn't. He told me to never let it bother me. He said it was nothing to do with strength, but all technique. The next day he called me over to his house again. I ran over, but was not so happy when I seen him pull that same bow down off the wall. He said try it today......I said NO!!! He said try it today, something tells me it will be different. I reluctantly took it and began to pull it. Something was different....It was a bit hard at first but the darn thing actually pulled back!!!! I practiced with that bow every single day and got gooood with it. One day the gentleman took me to the local sporting good store and told me thatI might like some of the new bows better than the old one I was using. He had me try out a whole bunch of them....pulling them back and seeing how they felt. The last bow he handed me was beautifull, he had me pull it back......he said do you like it? I said yes.......he said, was it hard to pull back?....I said no. He said now look at the draw weight in the tag.....much to my amazement, it was 55 pounds.....not 45 like the one I was practicing with.

Now Im 28 years old andcan pull back 85 pounds on compound and 92 pounds on recurve. But I prefer to shoot and hunt with NO MORE THAN 55 pounds.....Its all I need.

You just keep practicing...You will get better with time....and you will find your size has little to do with it in the long run.....GOOD LUCK HUNTING BUCKSLAYER