HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7MM-08 vs. .308 WIN
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 7MM-08 vs. .308 WIN

ORIGINAL: cjwatson

I have a hard decision to make. im looking at both the the 7mm-08 and the 308. I know the 7mm-08 is .284 diameter bullet,smaller ammo variety, shoots real flat,quicker than the 308, and less recoil(dont care bout recoil, just want a good shooting round). Some iffy things i wonder about is smaller wound chamber and knockdown power

the 308 has more variety, and heavier bullets

My main questions are: Knockdown capabilty, best factory loads, and overall opinions on these rounds Please help me out all you can ive shot a 30-06with 150gr corelockts all my life and its proven again and againbut i just want to try something different-- i will be hunting deer,mostly under 100 yards, and in not too heavy brush
I shoot them both, and I have yet to see a deer do anything different when hit by them other than die. I shoot 165grgamekings out ofmy 308 and shoot 140gr gamekings out of my 7mm-08. I can't tell any difference in wound channels. Only thing I can tell a slight difference in is my 7mm08 drops less than my 308 at 300 yards. And 7mm has less recoil. I take them both out equally and never think twice.