HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - handgun permit on hold, still - this sucks
Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
geterdun2

Default handgun permit on hold, still - this sucks

well all heres the situation. im not even sure what advise, if any, im looking for, but either way atleast i can vent my frustration.

a month ago i tried to buy a handgun after turning 21.gave the shop my 100$ deposit. background check came back and state police put me on hold because of a pending court case which was scheduled for sept 10 (simple misdeminor, nothing that was prohibit me from purchasing a handgun), yesterday. I have been talking to the prosecutor alot last 2 months and since i live2 hours from the county the case was in, i asked him if i could just complete the community service hours i needed in order to be put on the STET docket and not have to physically show up for the case (its called a pre-trial something or other)- he agreed. well, i completed the hours, sent in the paperwork for the com. service about 2 weeks ago. talked to the prosecutor about a week ago and he said i did everything i needed to do in order to be put on STET and clear the case. well I called today to make sure everything was alright, so i could go and complete the sales transaction with my handgun. he tells me it got postponed until freaking january because I didnt signa paperagrreing tothe STET, which Im sure I did (dont know if he lost it, or if i didnt sign it, but im pretty sure i did). so i told him the situation with the gunstore and that they have my deposit, he told me to call state police and see if they will accept a letter from him saying that even though the case is pending on the comp., its basically already set in stone that I will be put on STET. state trooper said no, it needs to be in the computer system before he can lift my hold.

so now im waiting for prosecutor to call me back and tell him what they said. im not sure how court system works, but does anyone have a guess on if the prosecutor can talk to the judge or something and enter my STET in the comp., so I dont have to wait until january. i couldnt beleive my ears when he told me, i have been anxiously waiting this whole month to finally get this case cleared and recieve my handgun, but seems like i cant get a break. i dont know if prosecutor lost the paper or what, but i know i signed it and theres nothing i can do now unless he can get it resolved aby alternate means. this has ruined my day lol. i really hope i dont have to wait until jan. again. im hoping he can just send/fax me the form, I can sign it and send it back, and he can take it to the judge or district court and have it resolved.

Any thoughts? if not its cool, i just really needed to vent and maybe someone has more knowledge about court system than i do. thaknks alot