HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Unethical shot and won't even admit it!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Critr-Gitr

Default RE: Unethical shot and won't even admit it!

Well, I waited to see what the general consensus was here before I made my final reply to him, and now I am done on posting on the subject to him. If a man does not have ethics by the time he is grown, it's likely he never will as long as he is unwilling to listen to others.

You see, I do know what kind of damage feral hogs do. It comes right out of my pocket as a landowner in hog country. I don't need anyone to preach that to me. However, when I pick up a bow I am sport hunting for the challenge,and as such place the highest priority on ethics. I love bowhunting hogs, maybe even more than deer, and it is a personal challenge I impose upon myself to beat the hog at his own game, and beat the restrictions I put upon myself.

I do engage in population control hunts on occasion to help alleviate crop damage. When I do that, I use the appropriate weapon which is a large bore rifle, set up for fast and dirty work. At that point, all bets are off. It is population control, it is killing, not hunting as we so often talk about it. A 3000 fps, 180 grain controlled expansion bullet through the brain is a little different story than an arrow. Or 12 ga. slugs as you fly creek bottoms in a helicopter, flushing and shooting. You probably have to have done that kind of work before to really understand it. Hogs are an introduced species. They are invasive. They destroy crops AND native habitat/species. They must be controlled.

But as a game animal, using archery tackle, they deserve respect. Either way, I am not out to risk maiming an animal. Either way, my intention is to kill it, quickly and effectively. Head shot with a bow meets none of the criteria on my list. It is a boy burning grasshoppers with a magnifying glass. Hopefully he will grow out of it, like most boys do.