HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Killer_Primate
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting young bucks? Good? Bad?

I've heard both sides;
1. If it's brown it's down - meaning just that. Any legal deer passes the stand and he's dead. That simple. These type people think that the "trophy" hunters just don't want these guys shooting a deer that the “trophy” hunter could shoot one day and are playing a game of trickery on them. These guys I guess are also paranoid on many levels and can be heard at the hunt clubs making statements such as "you can't eat them antlers" and "there ain't no big bucks in my area".
2. Let him go, so he can grow - meaning, well, just that. Pass on the small ones so that they can grow up to be big ones. These people think that the self-proclaimed "meat" hunters don't understand basic logic or formal debate. These people also claim to eat meat (or venison), but it is at least worth mentioning that this has rarely, if ever been witnessed by a true "meat" hunter. These guys can often be heard boasting about passing on small bucks and tell tall tales about tall antlered white tail bucks in their areas. They also commonly engage in rhetoric about shooting does is good for the herd?

So what do you say we settle this for good? Come on dudes, lets hear what you think!

Thanks,

KP