HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Ossage

Default RE: Speed or Weight for maximun KE?

40-50 KE is a lot for a stick bow, and they have cleanly wacked everything.

If you are currently limited to these numbers, and this bow, you can only increase energy with a heavier arrow. There isn't much point in asking which is better the fast or the slow for KE. I think you have plenty of bow.

As you point out you have to be able to hit it. If you are really limited to say 20-30, no once a year pronghorn hunts or whatever, then it is easy to have your cake and eat it too. Shots out to 20 yards are point blank even with heavy arrows. If you can just learn to hedge it a little for the longer shots out to thirty you should be on target. Then you can have your heavy high KE arrow, and your hits. There is no net hunting advantage to a fast arrow other than range related. If your hunting situation, or personal limits take range out of the equasion, then the heavier arrow is always better.

Beyond weight, I look for durability in the details, for instance I like a swaged or solid arrow construction. I am also real picky about broadheads from my trad days. If you can get a tough sharp arrow you can hit with, what's not to like?

Even beyond 30 yards, you can hit pretty much everything accuracy wise if you can get the yardage (I don't like long shots on game because of other factors, but that's just me). Ever shoot a known yardage round of foam, it is like shooting fish in a barrel, which actualy sounds harder. The light arrows are only of big interest to me when I can't get the yardage, and the target is out there.

Edited by - ossage on 02/07/2003 22:34:26